USS U. S. Grant, SSBN 631
dp. 6,650 (surf.), 8,250 (subm.); l. 425'; b.
33'; dr. 32'; s. 16 k (surf.), 22 k. (subm.); td 1300';
16 Polaris/Poseidon missile tubes midships; 4-21" tt. fwd.;
cpl. 16 officers - 148 enlisted men; cl. LAFAYETTE
Keel laid down by Electric Boat Division, General Dynamics,
Groton, CT 18Aug62;
Sponsored by Mrs. David W. Griffiths;
Commissioned 17Jul64; Capt. John L. From, Jr., [B]
A.K. McDonald, [G]
Decommissioned and struck from the Navy list 12Jun92.
Disposed of through SRP at Puget Sound 26Oct93.
USS ULYSSES S. GRANT (SSBN-631) got underway from Groton in
early December 1964 following shakedown, bound for the Pacific.
Transiting the Panama Canal on New Year's Eve, she arrived at
Pearl Harbor in January 1965.
The FBM submarine was deployed to Guam, in the Marianas, and
operated from there into 1970. She conducted 18 deterrent patrols
before returning to the east coast of the U.S., departing the
western Pacific in December 1970.
After an overhaul at Charleston, SC, ULYSSES S. GRANT was
deployed to Holy Loch, Scotland, and operated in the European
area until September 1975. Returning home at that time, the
submarine continued to operate with the Atlantic Fleet on
deterrent patrols into 1981.
ULYSSES S. GRANT was decommissioned, struck from the Navy List on
12 June 1992 and disposed of through the Submarine Recycling
Program on 23 October 1993.
Compiled by SUBNET from 'Dictionary of American Fighting Ships'
and U.S. NAVAL SUBMARINE INFORMATION BOOK '95 -- J. Christley